Representatives of Podem Xàbia; Marisa Fernández, Pepe Miralles and the head of the list, Juan López and representatives of the board of directors of the Brotherhood; The members Amadeu Ros and Rafael Serrat and the president Moisés Erades, held a working meeting a few days ago at the headquarters of the Fishermen's Association.
The Brotherhood commented that they were aware that when they were campaigning, all the political groups were interested in getting closer to hear their complaints and requests; but that the ideal is that these contacts be maintained after the elections so that their claims are met, something that Juan López promised that he would do if he came to have responsibility in the future consistory.
The Brotherhood stressed that it is the only organization that has remained faithful to the activity of the primary sector with the will to permanence and, therefore, the only autochthonous industrial activity that remains outside tourism and massive construction.
And it is that it is an activity that is governed by paying its workers “in part”, that is, by means of a percentage on the sale of the catches and this makes it very sensitive to the conditions of the environment.
The meeting, loaded with content and which lasted more than two hours, had three parts to highlight. In the first place, the issues already discussed with other political organizations were reviewed. But there was also a group of issues that were dealt with ex novo at this meeting, and finally the Guild delivered a document of suggestions, some of which had already been discussed during the meeting.
Juan López assured the fishermen of fluid communication during the next legislature and, although many of their demands are not municipal competence, he promised all the support he could provide within his reach and in accordance with the political and environmental lines of the purple formation.
Xicotetions of the Fishermen's Guild
Issues already discussed with other political organizations
- Tax exemption for your activity, which represents 2% of the billing.
- The complaint about the little activity that they observe in the D. General de Pesca of the Generalitat.
- The possibility of establishing a collaboration agreement with Amjasa, to get adjusted prices for the water they need for their work.
- The revision of the regulation of nautical traffic, which allows them to carry out their activity in a more orderly manner; even knowing that this aspect is state competence.
- The possibility of reaching agreements with the Town hall regarding the installation of buoys for recreational boats.
- The implementation of training cycles, together with practices from the beginning of the training on boats.
- The permit for the use of some fishing techniques that, in the current regional legislation, are not authorized; while if it is in other communities. In general they are seine fishing gear (Moixonera, Llissera, Llampuguera).
Issues discussed ex novo at this meeting
- The willingness of the Brotherhood to participate in scientific studies, led by the University, to obtain objective indicators of the evolution of fishing (sizes, fishing seasons, quantities of catches, quality of catches, etc.). In this sense, it was commented that there had already been a study carried out by a private university, in which they had participated, but that the results were not conclusive.
- Regarding the closed periods, it was commented that they do not observe variations in the catches (neither in size, quality or quantity); despite this, they are made by European requirement; but they miss that the ban is also for individuals.
- The port facilities are very small to carry out their work, and the land areas are especially small.
- They demand more security; in fact, there have been some cases of vandalism that have forced them to put their own surveillance.
- Carry out work to find the structural problems of La Casa Del Pescador.
- Determine the uses and rights over La Casa del Pòsit.
- They observe that the pressure to occupy more space from the Club Náutico does not cease, and they expressed their bad feeling because the latest remodeling of the docks had not been agreed upon with the Brotherhood, not even informed by the City Council.
- They are aware of the existence of European aid to the primary sector, to improve equipment and others; but, unlike other communities, the Brotherhood of Xàbia has the capacity to respond to these requests without the participation of the City Council, which they have always done so and have specialized personnel in this matter.
- They consider that the sea is heavily polluted by plastics and other waste.
- Aquaculture is seen as a competing activity; but they do not see the possibility of facilities in this area due to the geography and the aggressiveness of the sea at times. Nor do they see possibilities for the breeding of algae for food.
- Even knowing that the sanctioning powers at sea correspond to the Civil Guard, they demand that the municipal police act with forcefulness and perseverance, monitoring and drawing up records of infractions and passing them on to the sanctioning authority, in the face of inappropriate conduct, such as excessive speeds of pleasure boats and motorbikes, anchoring in posidonia meadows, invasion of areas with nets that are well marked out, destruction of fishing gear, or poaching.
- It was explained that several boats are currently moored in the fishing port, which are dedicated to bluefin tuna fishing, which is abundant in this area and which, being a very voracious species, is decimating its catches. These boats have their European license and catch quota.
- They see positive the creation of a neighborhood council for Duanes.
- Agree on municipal beaconing, dates and areas.
- Adjust the closed dates of the octopus.
- Licenses for bluefin tuna fishing.
- To facilitate generational change, allow temporary work (training).
- Adaptation of state and community law to local uses, which are allowed by the EU and not admitted in these laws.
- The modification of some state regulations that regulate the validity of the degrees.